Friday 10 February 2012

Nail Art: Owl

I don't normally do nail art. It's very time consuming and I'm not entirely sure it's me, but I'd been desperate to give this design a go. Who knows, it might even be the start of a beautiful thing!

Skip Hop is an American company which makes the cutest changing bags and accessories for babies and children. I have some of their products and always recommend them to any expecting friends. 

Last year, I bought my little girl a backpack and a matching lunch bag with an owl character. I thought it was adorable and easy enough to copy, but didn't have all the colours I needed. When I finally got them, I just didn't have the time... until now!

My inspiration:
Skip Hop ZOO Owl


My materials:
The colours, described below
Small brush, orange stick & hair grip


The process:

I forgot to take photos at the end of each step because I was too busy trying not to mess it up!

I painted things in the following order:
  1. My nails with the base colour, OPI Fly
  2. A half moon in Nubar Classic Camel, using the small brush
  3. Two white circles for the eyes, using OPI Alpine Snow and a hair grip (bobby pin)
  4. Three tiny dots in OPI My Private Jet using the orange stick
    1. I joined the dots to form the triangular beak
  5. The black circles inside the eyes using the orange stick and OPI Black Onyx
  6. The red wings using Bullish on OPI and the small brush
  7. The red dots on its chest with the same red and the orange stick
  8. Some tiny white circles in white to form eyelashes (can you even see them?)
  9. Two coats of top coat, to be safe!


The outcome:

Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
I love it, my daughter loves it... What do you think?

14 comments:

  1. pero esto es arte de exposicion! cuanto detalle!!!!!!! Y que linda lechuzaaa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias! Querés que haga tus diseños, vos que sos artista en serio? Mandame un dibujo fácil de los tuyos y te copio, dale?

      Delete
  2. Alucinante!!!!! Vení y haceme las manos! te doy vía libre! (",)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Creo que con todos los esmaltes que tengo es más fácil que vengas vos acá! Me van a cobrar exceso de equipaje! ;-)

      Delete
  3. The crew over here at Skip Hop LOVES this! We've shared it with all of our Facebook fans! http://www.facebook.com/SkipHop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very flattered indeed! So happy you liked it - you've made my day! Massive thanks to the Skip Hop crew :-D

      Delete
  4. Te quedó muy bien! me encanta!
    Recien hoy entré a ver tu blog, me encanta como sacas las fotos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias! Hago lo que puedo con mi lente de 50 mm, sé que por ahí no son como otros swatches... me alegro de que te gusten :-)

      Delete
  5. Que genial todo: diseño, idea y realización. Que dulce que sea un diseño inspirado en tu hija. No sabía que eras tan buena con el nail art, te felicito. Además esas colores juntos quedan increibles. Tu blog tiene mucha personalidad.
    Una duda tonta: para qué parte del dibujo usaste el Opi My Private jet? no pude darme cuenta...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias! La verdad es que no me tenía mucha fe, y menos aún sin las herramientas correctas, pero estoy muy satisfecha con el resultado :-) Usé MPJ para el pico nada más, por eso casi ni se nota.

      Delete
  6. Es precioso!!! Nunca me hice una lechuza todavía.... pero cuando me decida me voy a inspirar en tu diseño.
    Soooooo Cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, gracias ¡qué bueno poder inspirarte! Voy a probar más diseños pronto :-)

      Delete