Sunday 5 February 2012

OPI - Ali's big Break

I started blogging six or seven years ago, but life got in the way and I took some time out. My Twitter friends encouraged me to blog again and, since they know I love OPI, asked me to post a review of my favourite nail varnish from that brand.

It was a hard choice but I went for Ali's Big Break from the Burlesque collection. First of all, I'm not a huge fan of its name... after all, who in their right mind would like the words "break" and "nail" in the same sentence?!

I love this colour! So much so, that I wore it when I got married last year. Hence why it's so dear to my heart.

I wanted to look like myself, only better, on my wedding day and thought that my nails had to reflect my personality. If I don't recognise my hands in traditional French manicures, why would I want to see that in photos for years to come?

So I thought red would be good, and when I came across this beauty I was instantly sold.

Despite having several potential dupes, this product is not like any other red I own, it's a jelly base with red and gold flakes. I now know that this finish is called glass flecked/flakie, but a year ago I just thought it was lovely and that is the bottom line for me.

Burlesque was a Christmas collection, however, I find this colour very summery. I don't know whether it's the sheerness of the jelly or the vibrancy of the red, I just think it's quite refreshing. I always get nice comments when I have it on my nails.

The formula is flawless, neither too thick, nor too runny. Drying time is excellent, and despite many bloggers recommending three coats, I was very pleased with just two. The third coat will probably guarantee a closer match to the bottle. The finish is smooth, glossy and sparkly.

As with most OPI nail varnishes, I usually get at least a week of wear out of them, and by then I am normally ready for a change or notice too much growth.

Click to enlarge
Brand: OPI
Collection: Burlesque
Name: Ali's Big Break
Type: Jelly/Flakie/Glass Flecked
Colour: Red
Pantone equivalent: 186
Make Up Alley rating: 4/5
Potential dupes: China Glaze Ruby Pumps/Orly Last Dance/OPI Speak For You-Elf/OPI Smitten With Mittens (none of them appears to be a 100% dupe though)
Buy it from eBay, starting at £9.99 (buy it now)

I used:
1 x OPI Natural Base Coat
2 x OPI Ali's Big Break
1 x OPI RapiDry Top Coat

Metadata:
Canon EOS 450D - 50 mm - f/1.8 - ISO 400 - indoors - no flash - sunset

I thought it would be nice to include a few photos from my wedding, so you can see it in all its glory. Here they are:
Click to enlarge
Wedding photo credits: Frank Minghella, Mick Ryan & Cristian Corral

3 comments:

  1. No puedo pensar en nada más que..que romántico! esas fotos del casamiento son un encanto,todo es perfecto:la seda del vestido, el rosario de cristales, las uñas increibles y llenas de personalidad..
    Sobre el esmalte en si no soy fan de los rojos aunque me quedan muy bien, pero los veo demasiado clásicos y siempre pienso q tendré tiempo a los 60 para usar nudes y rojos..esa terminación glass fleck me encanta, China Glaze es muy buena haciéndolos también. El color es precioso, es un rojo muy fresco y me parece una elección genial para una novia con estilo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias! El rosario fue el que usó mi abuela materna cuando se casó, no es hermoso?

      Justamente elegí el rojo porque es clásico. Fue diferente desde el vamos, pero no me animaba a algo tan arriesgado como un verde o un azul, por ejemplo. Tenía miedo de que fuera muy "de moda" y en 20 años al ver las fotos fuera el equivalente a casarte con un pantalón nevado!

      Puede dar para la polémica: según lo que leí en internet antes de casarme, cuando busqué artículos y fotos al respecto, mucha gente cree que la novia debe ser toda angelical y relacionan al rojo con mujeres más "experimentadas". Personalmente, estaba entre rojo o bordó pero llegué a considerar un peltre también. Fui por lo más alegre, mis flores eran coloridas y el salón estaba decorado en naranja :-)

      Delete
  2. El rosario es hermoso en verdad, y si tiene una historia detrás, mucho más. Me morí con la referencia al pantalón nevado, que atrocidad ochentosa! Amé la decoración del salon y en especial ese ramo de flores (el violeta me puede mal y combinado con naranja quedó increible)
    Me olvidé de decir que hay unos efectos de CND que están bárbaros para dar esa apariencia glass effect a cualquier esmalte. Yo solo tengo "Crimson Sparkle" porque ya sabes q en Argentina no los venden. Da un efecto rojizo-dorado, mucho más sutil q un flakie normal, las partículas son diminutas y muy brillosas. Lo amó. Hay con reflejos verdes, violetas, cobrizos..son buenisimos

    ReplyDelete